.

June 18, 2008

The Lonely Road

Last night I drove from Fernley, NV to the Utah/Nevada state line on Highway 50. I started at 8:30pm and finished at 3:00am. I wish I had done this during the day so that I would have pictures to share with you.

Along the way I crossed flats of sage country, it is considered the "high desert" I believe. I also wound along mountain "trails." I say trails because I was literally hugging the shoulder of the opposing lane in order to get my trailer around the curve, the whole time praying that no one came along going the other direction.

As I left Eureka, NV I passed a road sign that dubbed the highway "The Loneliest Road in the Country." No doubt it is.

I drove over 350 miles, passing through three small towns (one considered a partial ghost town), 4 houses way off the road, some mining lights off in the distance (Nevada is a huge mining state), and meeting only three trucks and four cars going the opposite direction. Now granted, it was the middle of the night, but I've been on parts of that road in the daytime, and its not much more traveled by light. I certainly wouldn't want to break down out there.

There is no question in my mind that it is the loneliest road I've ever been on, and there was something really peaceful about the solitude, and awing about being able to still drive for hours in this country and never see another living soul, and very little evidence of them either.

No comments: