.

July 31, 2010

Sunday Stills: Graffiti

This weeks Sunday Stills challenge was Grafitti/Street Art. I had thought at first that this would be really challenging. Then I changed over to "not at all considering how much terrain I cover in a week." And we see truck trailers and train cars that are decorated all the time. A few days into the week, I was back to "this is gonna be a challenge" because I was seeing nothing. Why is it that when you arn't looking for something you see it all the time. But when you need to find it, there is none available? Well that was the case this week. In fact, the only grafitti I found readily available was this train car parked in Platteville, CO next to the mill we were waiting to unload at.
Ok, so that's not really a picture of the grafitti...but technically the grafitti is part of the composition.

Usually we see so much grafitti and though I don't admire vandalism and destruction of property, I do admire the artisticness of grafitti. Most of it is truly amazing in its creativity. It is, though mostly illegally done, art.

11 comments:

Brenda said...

I had the same idea. Love the viewpoint of the 2nd shot!

-my husband grows cotton- said...

Great shots! Love the sunflowers :)

Shirley said...

I had a tough time with this challenge too.

VioletSky said...

Sometimes, it is quite artistic, but most of it is ugly and looks pointless (though maybe is a message to someone?) I found it a challenge to find some graffiti this week also!

Ed said...

Great shots, the flowers are a perfect shot..:-)

Meagan said...

Love them! :-) The flower shot was very creative! :-) Sorry I missed your call... I've been under the weather!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

lol! Exactly. And I was totally expecting you to have a whole bunch of graffiti and street art photos.

Do you know, I've always secretly wanted to take a can or two of spray paint and create some graffiti art?
I could never do it without permission, though.

I read somewhere that Cadillac Ranch actually encourages folks to spray paint the cars sticking out of teh ground...hmmm...

lol!


~Lisa

Far Side of Fifty said...

I really like the flower shot! Thats how it goes some times the more you look for something the more elusive it is:)

flowerweaver said...

Although mostly illegal, I find most graffiti a welcome relief from otherwise monotonous spaces. I like the sunflowers with the doodles in the background.

Linda said...

I love the artistry in some graffiti but it's such great talent going to waste. I like the black eyed susans in the last shot.

Judy Johnson said...

I wonder if we have see some of the same graffiti covered railroad cars as they traverse Montana and North Dakota? Please mail me:xreversej@hotmail.com. Would love to get acquainted with you!!