.

August 17, 2009

Sunday Stills: Clouds

Posting this one a day late. We were home yesterday working all day to unload all our stuff from the truck. Plus I never have a strong Internet signal when we're home.


Last weeks Sunday Stills challenge was "Clouds."


I snapped this one on our way home Friday evening. Crossing into Montana out of Wyoming, we were surrounded by storms all the way home. This was just south of Crow Agency, MT. Not a great shot, but still pretty. It was more impressive in person. We got in the door of the house and less than 5 minutes later a deluge came..literally a wall of water falling from the sky accompanied by lots of lightening.

This one I took last fall when we were haulin' cows. This was in Nebraska north of Bridgeport.

Shortly after taking this picture, I put away the camera and just watched the clouds. That was the wrong thing to do! I was just looking and looking and suddenly realized I was looking at a small tornado descending. It hit the ground, but by the time I had retrieved my camera from the sleeper, it had disintegrated and was withdrawing into the clouds again. It wasn't much of one, but it was the first tornado I've seen in person, up close. Later down the road we passed through an area that had been hailed out. The corn stalks were stripped naked, and there were drifts of hail along the road.

To see more Sunday Stills go here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

those are some mean looking clouds! :)

Ed said...

Wow the second is a fantastic pic! I need to get back there soon I would like to visit the Little Bighorn and Rosebud battlefields..:-)

Sharon Tachenko said...

UGH! too soon! Looks like the spectre of global warming rearing its ugly head again!

Jennifer said...

I like both pics, but the second one is amazing!

Anonymous said...

I really liked the second shot, I can actually see the rain coming down. :):)

CTG Ponies said...

Great pics!