.

March 13, 2009

Tragedy in South Carolina

I'm posting this because its a tragedy that resulted from a serious problem in the trucker's world. The link below is to an article published by Land Line Magazine, which is a publication of OOIDA (Owner Operator Independant Driver Association). I would encourage you to read the article and then follow the link at the end and sign the petition. Parking is a huge problem in our industry, often putting drivers in dangerous and risky situations, not just risking a ticket, but also their lives. Recently a driver was murdered in South Carolina in a robbery. He was parked 12 miles from his destination. He left behind his wife, 2 year old son, and soon to be delivered twins. The petition is being presented in an effort to get law makers to do something about the lack of safe places for trucks to park while taking their mandatory break or waiting for appointment times. Please read the article, even if you don't plan to sign the petition.
I emailed this to several of you, but I'm posting it for those readers I don't know. I'd like as many people as possible to be aware of this possible.
Malcolm and I both were very saddened to hear about this incident and are praying for his family.

The post below is also from today. I made two because I felt this was important but didnt' want to delay sharing our events from the past week as well.

No comments: